I know, you are thinking this post is more relevant to men (husbands). However, recent research has shown that more women than ever are caught up in porn, emotional affairs and physical affairs. Whether you are a husband or a wife, temptation will eventually come knocking. The Bible is clear that to be tempted is common. Corinthians 10:13, “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”
A friend of ours runs our local Pregnancy Crisis Center told me, when she started there 10 years ago 90% of those seeking their help were young, unmarried girls. Over the years the demographics have changed to the point where up to 40% of those seeking their help currently are married women in their 30’s. I was stunned to hear this news. Unfortunately, these women did not run from being tempted and are now pregnant and are being tempted to abort their baby. Psalm 139:16 tells us "You saw me before I was born." My sister and I are both adopted so this is a subject that hits close to home for me.
The word temptation appears only twelve (12) times in the (NIV 1984) Bible. Nine (9) of those times are in the Gospels. The first mention of temptation is mentioned when Satan is tempting Jesus in Matthew 4:1-3, “Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil.” After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.” It is interesting that Satan is referred to as “the tempter”. Jesus said Satan is the father of lies and that Satan comes to steal, kill and destroy. “The thief (Satan) comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” John 10:10 Satan knows that if he can get you to move beyond the temptation and take a bite of the apple, so to speak, you will be falling into sin which moves us further from God.
Let me be very clear on something. Being tempted is not sinning. If it was a sin to be tempted then Jesus would have sinned and he did not sin, he lived a perfect life. If you are still unsure then let’s reread Matthew 4:1-3 “Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil.”
If you are thinking about cheating on your spouse, don’t do it! I will give several reasons not to.
- It is a sin. Flee fornication.
- You gave a vow to God and your spouse that you would remain faithful to them.
- Sexually transmitted diseases that will not go away and AIDS is deadly.
- Someone else may end up raising your kids.
- If divorce happens, it will effect your children and grand children for generations.
- The guilt from the affair.
- Sexual sin the the only sin that effects the body, mind & your spirit.
It's tough to get a handle on how many of us are having affairs, given the inherent secrecy. Here are a few of the statistics I could find:
- 22 percent of married men have strayed at least once during their married lives.
- 14 percent of married women have had affairs at least once during their married lives.
- Younger people are more likely candidates; in fact, younger women are as likely as younger men to be unfaithful.
- 70 percent of married women and 54 percent of married men did not know of their spouses' extramarital activity.
- 5 percent of married men and 3 percent of married women reported having sex with someone other than their spouse in the 1997.
- 22 percent of men and 14 percent of women admitted to having sexual relations outside their marriage sometime in their past.
- 90 percent of Americans believe adultery is morally wrong.
- 50 percent of Americans say President Clinton's adultery makes his moral standard "about the same as the average married man,'' according to a Time-CNN poll.
- 61 percent of Americans thought adultery should not be a crime in the United states; 35 percent thought it should; 4 percent had no opinion.
- 17 percent of divorces in the United States are caused by infidelity.
Source: Associated Press
If you are around someone that causes your mind to wonder, stop being around them. Change jobs, restaurants whatever you must do too not be around that person any longer.
Remember the story of Joseph and Potiphar’s Wife from Genesis 39? Joseph ran out of the house leaving his cloak. This is how we are to act when the temptress tries to lure us into their web of deceit and lies. RUN!
The books Every Man's Battle and Every Woman's Battle are great tools to help get your mind where it needs to be when temptation tries to show up. Seek professional help to deal with the battle in your head. Pray for God to give you the courage to do the right thing in all situations.
How did Jesus overcome Satan each time? Jesus spoke God’s Word back to him. We have the ability to do the same. Jesus gave us authority over Satan and his demons in Mark 16:17-18. Satan was defeated when Jesus was resurrected from the grave. Hallelujah!